In Microsoft Outlook 2008 and later versions you can now display the MailSite Spam Score of messages within the message list. Seeing the Spam Score of a message in your Inbox or Junk Mail folder can help you quickly filter the more important emails from newsletters or find that missing message in your Junk Mail folder.
Previously, the only way to expose the spam score was by adding the score to the message subject. Putting the score in the subject means that it is then included in replies or forwards - which is unsightly.
Using the Mailshell Anti-Spam Engine in MailSite it is now possible for end users to quickly see the spam score of their messages in Outlook as a column alongside the sender, date, size and subject fields without the need to open the header of a message or appending it to the subject.
This technique pulls the spam score value that is added by MailSite to the message header and renders it in Outlook for easy access. To add this column to your inbox follow the steps below:
First ensure that you have enabled the sieve filter called 'Add Spam Score X-Header' in the MailSite console under Server > Filtering > Sieve Filter > Local Mailbox Filtering > Mailbox Delivery Script.
Next download this zip file and extract it to a location on the Outlook computer.
Then perform the following steps in Outlook for each MailSite user:
- Click on File > Options > Advanced > Developers > Custom Forms > Manage Forms > Install.
- Find and select the X-Spam-Score.cfg file from the extracted zip file.
- Refresh the dialog so that you can now select the X-Spam-Score.cfg file you have just saved. Click Open > Ok > Close > Ok > Ok
- Right click the column header of the folder view you wish to add the column to and select Field Chooser. In the new dialog that opens use the drop down box to select Forms... > Spam-Score > Add > Close
- Click and then drag on the Spam-Score field in the dialog screen and place in your column headers in your desired location.
New messages added to the list will now have their spam score listed. Older messages will have a blank value as they were received prior to setting up this form.